Aromatherapy 101 is a stand-alone course which prepares one to work in the Aromatherapy industry. Some areas of employment are the retail aromatherapy business, product development, custom blending and consultation.
Aromatherapy 101 can also supplement an existing modality such as Registered Massage Therapist; Esthetician; Reflexologist; Health Care Provider.
I have structured this course in a way which first lays the foundation and then gradually introduces new information. You will begin at the beginning, which is the definition of aromatherapy and essential oils. The information covered in the essential oil profiles is explained and contraindications are covered. The history of aromatherapy is also discussed and while some may find history boring, it is interesting to follow the centuries, decades and years of aromatherapy use along with new developments along the way.
I have categorized the essential oils under top, middle and base notes. First the top notes are covered in alphabetical order, then the middle and finally the base notes. My purpose for doing this is so that you can remember what note an essential oil is by the process of association. For example, if you remember that lavender is a middle note and that you learned about rosemary in one of the next modules my hope is that you will then be able to remember that it is also a middle note.
The Latin binomial for each essential oil is important to know – this is explained in greater detail under essential oil profiles, but the importance of this cannot be stressed enough. Also important is organic chemistry relating to the essential oils.
The chemistry of each essential oil is the basis for their properties, benefits and safety. We know that chemistry can be a little daunting and therefore it is covered in detail in AT101 and we also have a fabulous resource called Lab Aroma that will assist you in learning the chemistry of the essential oils. As of July 1, 2018, Lab Aroma is mandatory for all new students (please refer to Lab Aroma under About This Course).
Essential oil safety is probably one of the most important aspects of this course. Each essential oil and hydrosol covered will include safety or precautionary information. Safety is covered in detail in Module 2
In Module 9, hydrosols are introduced and after that, you will find that I have recommended specific hydrosols for various conditions. In Aromatherapy 101, the hydrosols are listed under their Latin binomial. If you decide to take Aromatherapy 201, you will find them under their common English names. This was done deliberately to assist in remembering the Latin binomials.
The conditions covered in Aromatherapy 101 are some of the most common conditions a person might encounter. Along with each condition is a list of essential oils and modes of use.
Each module includes review questions and I highly recommend that you take advantage of this resource to assist you in remembering key points in the module.
At the back of the manual there is a glossary of terms, a description of anatomical directions and a quick reference guide to dilutions. As well, there are blank Cross Reference Charts, Client Intake Forms and Client Intake Forms for Facials – these are for the case studies required to complete this level.
A correspondence course can be a solitary endeavor and so I offer monthly on-line meetings for all students to attend on an optional basis. Each meeting has a topic which is over and above the course material to keep students current and more informed.
There is a Student Forum on a private Facebook page. There are benefits to discussing the course material with other students who may have questions you hadn’t thought of or tips for learning the material.
Aromatherapy 101 is a pre-requisite to Aromatherapy 201
Essence of Thyme College of Holistic Studies
This Level is approximately 300 hours (including exams and case studies) 37 Essential Oils
600 + Pages
Lab Aroma: $75.00 CAD (Mandatory)
AT101 Exam Fee: $75.00 (Payable at the time exam is booked)
- Introduction to Aromatherapy
- What are Essential Oils?
- How Essential Oils Enter the Body
- Aromatherapy as a Healing Art
- Understanding Essential Oil Profiles
- The Essential Oil Profile of Basil Ocimum basilicum
- The Essential Oil Profile of Bergamot Citrus bergamia
- The Essential Oils Profile of Clary Sage Salvia sclarea
- Essential Oil Safety
- Therapeutic Actions of Essential Oils
- Quality of Essential Oils
- History of Aromatherapy
- Methods of Extracting Essential Oils
- The Essential Oil Profile of Eucalyptus Eucalyptus globulus
- The Essential Oil Profile of Eucalyptus Eucalyptus citriodora
- The Essential Oil Profile of Eucalyptus Eucalyptus smithii
- The Essential Oil Profile of Eucalyptus Eucalyptus radiata
- The Essential Oil Profile of Eucalyptus Eucalyptus dives
- Chemistry of Essential Oils
- Plant Families
- Essential Oil Profile of Grapefruit Citrus paradis
- Essential Oil Profile of Lemon Citrus limon
- Essential Oil Profile of Lime Citrus aurantifolia/Citrus medica
- Blending Guidelines
- Completing a Cross Reference Chart
- Client Consultation and Completing a Client Intake Form
- Methods of Treatment
- General Knowledge of Carrier Oils
- Apricot Kernel Oil Prunus armeniaca
- Calendula Oil Calendula officinalis
- Coconut Oil Cocos nucifera
- Essential Oil Profile of Mandarin Citrus reticulate/Citrus nobilis
- Essential Oil Profile of Orange, sweet Citrus sinensis
- Essential Oil of Petitgrain Citrus aurantium var. Amara
- Profile of Grapeseed Carrier Oil Vitis vinifera
- Profile of Jojoba Carrier Oil Simmondsia chinensis
- Essential Oil Profile of Pine Pinus sylvertris
- Essential Oil Profile of Sage, common Salvia officinalis
- Essential Oil Profile of Tea Tree Melaleuca alternifolia
- Essential Oil Profile of Thyme, Thymus vulgaris
Midterm Exam Modules 1 – 6
- Case studies will help students to determine blends, proportions and treatment options for their client. This could consider to be a type of research project. Case Studies need to be done in specific format – this is included in the manual. In AT101 a student is required to complete 5 Case Studies as part of their midterm assessment. The forms required for the Case Studies are included in the manual. These need to be handed in for grading.
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Immune System
- Essential Oils and the Immune System
- Profile of Rosehip Carrier Oil Rosa rubiginosa/Rosa eglanteria
- Profile of Sweet Almond Carrier Oil Prunus amygdalus
- Essential Oil Profile of Black Spruce Picea mariana
- Essential Oil Profile of Chamomile Chamaemelum nobile
- Essential Oil Profile of Cypress Cupressus sempervirens
- Essential Oil Profile of Geranium Pelargonium graveolens
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Lymphatic System
- Essential Oils and the Lymphatic System
- Profile of Aloe Vera Gel Aloe barbadensis
- Profile of Witch Hazel Hamamelis virginiana
- Profile of Cocoa Butter Theobroma cacao
- Profile of Mango Butter Mangifera indica
- Profile of Shea Butter Butyrospermum parkii Origin
- Profile of Dead Sea Salts
- Profile of Himalayan Sea Salts
- Profile of Breton Sea Salts
- Profile of Ceara Sea Salts
- Profile of Epson Salts
- Profile of Dead Sea Mud
- Profile of Glacial Clay
- Profile of Green Clay; White Clay; Red Clay; Pink Clay; Yellow Clay Salves and Ointments; Creams and Lotions
- Essential Oil Profile of Juniper Berry Juniperus communis
- Essential Oil Profile of Lavender Lavender angustifolia/Lavender officinalis/Lavender vera
- Essential Oil Profile of Lavadin Lavendula x intermedia
- Essential Oil Profile of Lavender, Spike Lavendula stoechas
- Essential Oil Profile of Lavender, Maritime Lavendula latifolia
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Integument System
- Essential Oils and the Integument System
- General Knowledge of Hydrosols
- Chamomile Hydrosol
- Lavender Hydrosol
- Essential Oil Profile of Marjoram, sweet Origanum marjorana
- Essential Oil Profile of Peppermint Mentha piperita
- Essential Oil Profile of Rosemary Rosamarunus
- Performing an Aromatherapy Facial
- Neroli (Orange Blossom) Hydrosol
- Peppermint Hydrosol
- Rose Hydrosol
- Essential Oil Profile of Benzoin Styrax benzoin
- Essential Oil Profile of Frankincense Boswellia carteri
- Essential Oil Profile of Myrrh Commiphora myrrha/Commiphora molmo
Module 11: Stress
- Essential Oils and Stress
- Performing an Aromatherapy Lymphatic Facial
- Essential Oil Profile of Patchouli Pogostemon cabli/Pogostemon pachouli
- Essential Oil Profile of Rose Rosa damascene
- Essential Oil Profile of Rose Rosa centifolia
- Essential Oil Profile of Sandalwood Santalum album
Final Exam Modules 1 – 11:
- Ten Case Studies to be completed and submitted with all corresponding documentation.